The Harrison County Health Department offers a number of environmental health services to protect the community from a number of environmental health hazards.
We achieve these outcomes by conducting inspections, performing investigations and issuing permits. Our trained staff routinely:
- conducts sanitary inspections for local food service establishments, retail food establishments, food processing establishments, temporary food events, schools, senior centers, child care facilities and lodging establishments
- issues permits for on-site wastewater treatment disposal systems on residential lots that are less than three (3) acres
- investigates complaints related to the sanitation of all food establishments, child care facilities, lodging establishments and on-site wastewater treatment disposal systems
- responds to emergencies (such as tornadoes, floods, fires, transportation accidents, etc.) in which food and food-related items are affected
- responds and investigates incidents of food-borne illness